Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Fender Bender



A couple weeks back I got rear-ended. Not a big deal as car crashes go, I had a few days of whiplash but basically nobody got hurt. The woman who hit me has good insurance. But waiting for that stuff to all process has been a hassle and a half.



I have trash bags over the back window, which was punched out by my bike rack. Which was also destroyed. Basically I need a new back door, bumper and bike rack. It's kind of an expensive rack (glad for that insurance)—it was the only one I could find that didn't require a trailer hitch that would mount on my xB.



So to take my bike with me I have to take the front wheel off, untape the hatch (the trash bags functioning as the window require duct-tape wrapping around to the side windows), and wrestle a bit. My XB has tons of room for an economy car, but that's not that much room when you're dealing with a large touring bike with fenders and racks and whatnot. Which has meant that my usual bike commuting rhythm has been too much of a hassle to maintain: I either drive round trip or ride round trip, the usual mix and match is just too much trouble.

No comments: