Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Fairfax Bridge Adventure



I've ridden over the Fairfax Bridge before, but it's normally pretty tricky. It's busy, skinny and old. One of those places you pin your ears back and ride like hell. Oh, and coming from the North you carry your bike up an embankment to even get on it.





Corinna spotted the road construction on the feed from that northbound side and realized that meant zero cars. She went up there to shoot some picks and when I heard, I got excited to do the same.





On the way out I spotted some tags I hadn't gotten before, so I bring you Lush and whatnot from around the Broadway Bridge.



Riding through Fairfax on a Sunday evening, wow. These wide, flat roads are made to carry significant traffic but you wouldn't know it. I had a stiff tailwind, too, so I was flying along at 20 mph with barely any effort past the GM assembly plant and a party in the UAW parking lot and so on.



No need to hike-a-bike up the embankment, when you know it's closed on the other end you can just ride up the bridge going the wrong way.



Once up there, you have a great platform for photography, the cool old bridge, the river, the power plant nearby, a lot of what I shot didn't turn out great, but I had fun trying. And came back with enough pay dirt to make it feel like a well-done expedition. I should try to get some of my friends to come back there with me in the next couple of weeks while the feeder bridge to the north is still out of commission.



No comments: