Search Lobsterland

Thursday, May 02, 2013

Copper Thieves Strike Again

Coming home across the bridge I got married on, I noticed something out of the ordinary. This is a bike/pedestrian bridge, but it was absolutely crammed with trucks.



I gather, talking to the linemen briefly, that copper thieves came and took a bunch of wire that belongs to Ma Bell. Not for the first time, either. I hate to suggest lights and cameras on this bridge, it's such a charming passage as is, but surely a few lights would be cheaper than paying crews to re-wire it every few months.

Gotta hand it to those drug addicts, though: I guarantee you whoever stole the copper didn't have a truck with a cherry-picker to get up there. Someone who will work that hard, to climb up twenty, thirty feet with a very real risk of falling to death and dismemberment, that's someone who could work hard enough to get a pretty decent paycheck doing stuff that won't get you sent to jail.

No comments: