Search Lobsterland

Thursday, April 07, 2011

Tag! You're It!

I want to start an awards ceremony for Kansas City tag artists, not sure what to call it but maybe I could get Krylon to sponsor a prize or two?



I know sometimes it's vandalism, stupid gang-related stuff that should be resisted the same as the Chinese government or so-called anti-psychotic medications.






But there are the other times, times where tags are art. Sometimes so compelling that legitimate businesses hire the taggers to decorate their shops with 'legal walls.'








This isn't all from one ride. Some of these pics aren't even from a ride, they're from a trip where I was Millstoning it with the Poet Laureate and my Honyocks.









No matter the legal difficulties some of this art poses, the tagger is a public servant. Unlike many actual employees of the city who demonstrably suck at their jobs, these vandals actually improve the appearance of their city and provide this service free of charge.



While shooting pics at the bottom of the 12th Street Bridge, we met of of the Chocolate Fairy's friends, Henry.



And no, Henry is no tagger. I'd be more likely to be caught with spray paint under this bridge.



But if you live in KC and haven't tagged up under 12th Street, as far as I can tell you don't have a hair on your tagging balls. It's the biggest come-as-you-are tag festival I've ever seen.



As I say, though, my vision is of a festival for taggers.



Originality, cleverness, these are traits we should be rewarding as humans.





And maybe there needs to be a difficulty metric: my absolute favorite, 'Shave the Whales' isn't just clever, it's scary high up. Someone climbed at great risk to get this message out.






No comments: