Search Lobsterland

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Chocolate Fairy at Epstein Gallery



The gallery this gig went down in is in a nursing home. Or retirement community. Whatever the preferred term is. A very upscale nursing home, actually.



The smell I remember from the ones my late stepbrother spent his last few years, well, I just hope his sense of smell was one of the things disabled in his accident. This place doesn't smell like that, it's more like a Holiday Inn.



So if you needed another reason to up your 401(k) contributions, a clean and comfortable place to be assisted through your last days is a good one.




The show was geared to kids, and since the kids were massively outnumbered by so-called adults, the grown-ups felt obligated to fill the 'kid' role. Okay, not obligated, privileged is more like it. I know I had fun.





I tried and failed to get Em to come, and with her small food thing, she'd have had a blast.





Mo really enjoyed the affair, to my pleasant surprise. She didn't want to go in, initially, but when she figured out it was a deal with art, stickers and chocolate, she settled in and got busy.










The Chocolate Fairy was sandwiched between a nutritionist and the clay artist who had the kids making small food. It went over well, including these two little guys writing with dark chocolate.



There was some cool art on display, too.



My favorite, I think (there was another that didn't photograph as well by the same artist that impressed me too), was this one called 'The Babysitter.'



When I was the age of the boy in the picture, the babysitter would have been the most interesting, tantalizing and scandalous thing in the room.

No comments: