Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Poetry for Personal Power @ UMKC



I blogged more when I had a lot less to blog about, I think.



The writing is good therapy, but here I realize I went to one of Corinna's poetry events a couple weeks back, took over 300 photos and forgot to share any of it.

It was a real treat because it was in town, so I could attend without committing to a half-week long bike tour, and Sara Glass was headlining.




Sara is one of the most talented performers I've ever seen, someone who can just instantly command a room. Funny to boot.

Which can be a real breath of fresh air. I like some of the edgier poets, but at some events I've felt shouted at to the point of fatigue. It's the problem I have with a lot of punk rock, if it's all rage, the rage loses its impact.



As I say, I took over 300 pics but most of them are shit. The windows and stage lights back-lit the poets badly, and Sara is hard to photograph anyway because she never stops moving. I should probably delete a few hundred photos of her I've taken at a few shows now, they're all blurry (and noisy from cranking the ISO, in vain, to compensate).

No comments: