Search Lobsterland

Monday, March 16, 2015

I'm Awake Now



I was running late for work but my timing was pretty good to catch the 107—this gets me from 7th & Minnesota to 43rd & Rainbow in about ten or twelve minutes, then I can either cut through Westport and/or the Plaza, or I can go up Booth, Belinder, through Mission Hills, cut over on 71st or 73rd into Waldo. Both seem to be about the same miles and time, the main advantage to the Kansas side route is when there’s snowpack on the KCMO streets, the longer I can delay crossing the state line the better.

Anyway, I put my bike on the rack and I watch it out of the corner of my eye as I play with my phone. I watch it because the first time I tried the bike on bus thing, I might not have gotten the hook on the front tire right or something, but my bike got thrown. It took me a couple years after that to even experiment with the bus.

But anyway, I’m playing Words with Friends and the bus stops and out of the corner of my eye I see someone grab my bike off the rack.

I Freaked Out. I went lunging out the front of the bus screaming expletives and ready to beat someone to death with my U lock. The kid looked genuinely frightened, and then I saw that my bike was still on the bus rack.

It was a second bike, the poor kid I was ready to kill had just grabbed his own ride.

What a way to wake up.

No comments: