Search Lobsterland

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Critical Flat



I was all stoked to ride Critical Mass. It'd been a hard week at work, crazy busy, and I was really looking forward to cutting loose with my friends.

Corinna wasn't feeling up to the whole thing, but she wanted a workout and so decided to ride me out of KCK at least. As we were riding along she said, 'You're almost flat.'

This is a shock. I ride with Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour tires, which while heavy, are almost invincible. It's been at least a year since I flatted. I think maybe almost two years actually. Usually it's a nail, that's one of the few things these tires can't shrug off, but I can't find any damage to the tire or evidence of a nail.

But being that I rarely flat, I was really rusty on changing a flat. I got to a gas station, so I didn't have to do a hundred strokes on the frame pump to get the tire up and running, but it was still over 20 minutes by the time I got the old tube off, the new tube in, realized I'd left that stupid nut they put on a Presta stem on, took it all apart and removed that, reassembled it, inspected to make sure I hadn't trapped the tube between the bead and rim, and so on.

Corinna sat there keeping me company while I did this and I realized (and told her so), good thing you didn't watch me do this on our first date. Actually, back then I hadn't found the Schwalbe tires so I changed flats more often and was smoother at it. But if we'd been on that first date and I'd had a flat and been this fucking inept at changing it, she'd have deleted me from her phone and refused my calls. We never would have gotten to second base. True story.

No comments: