Search Lobsterland

Saturday, January 28, 2006

No Coach's Coffee For Me...

The term 'coach's coffee,' as I understand it, is not crudely roasted or otherwise plain coffee in the traditional sense. In the good old days of professional sports free of anti-doping regulations, amphetamines were even more available than steroids. Candy jars of greenies and coffee laced with Dexedrine were standard, famously in baseball. It figures, baseball is boring, and requires an unhealthy capacity for concentrating on mindless stuff. A center fielder who can hit is great, but he plays even better when you get him grinding his teeth and sweating from the crank in his java.

'Coach's coffee' is like a virgin Bloody Mary to a veteran of clubhouse speed, which is to say a recovering addict.

But none of that for me. Today I was so dead on my feet I actually drank coffee, something I never do. I've always preferred my caffeine cold, but I needed a bolus dose today. If they'd offered coffee with amphetamines, I'd have bought that.

Mo was tired last night, went to bed early, then decided to get up at midnight. For the day.

Is it early in the morning or still last night? I guess a lush figures it's five o'clock somewhere, and Mo figures it's morning somewhere. I did get her to go back to sleep some, but she wanted to snuggle in my bed and that meant her periodic flopping, kicking and vocalizations woke me up at least once an hour for the three or four hours I was more or less in bed.

I wish I had that kind of energy to attack the day with. I doubt there's enough speed in a large trailer park to do that.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Hiya,

Ah speed, not that I've ever touched the stuff but in my younger days I used to go to all night parties I would flake out at 4am but wonder about the ones who were still going at 9 the next morning. Speed I was told, but it never really tempted me as I prefer my sleep.