Search Lobsterland

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Who Went Looking for Chili at the First Thanksgiving?

Okay, I'll probably get deported for this, but aside from my flu-struck daughter's "Little House on the Prairie" DVD as second-hand smoke, I spent Thanksgiving day without watching TV. But wait...

I didn't eat any turkey. I didn't even look at one. Breakfast was cheesy-poofs and after Frau Lobster objected to the questionable nutrition such has to offer, eggs sunny-side-crisp with plenty of Tabasco and toast. Dinner was some chicken and chops, mixed veggies and cornbread.

Oh, and I finally mowed up my overgrown lawn and autumn leaves. I bagged until I'd filled five trash cans, the extent of my dustbin collection. That was before I finished the front yard. I 'mulched' after that, though I couldn't see where mulching the calf-high leaves in my driveway would do anything aside from further clogging a semi-functional sump pump. But I think I got the yard to a point where the city won't impose a fine.

Oh, and the bunk bed Grampa made for the girls when they decided to share a room (they have since moved back to a room apiece, but both adore the upper bunk). The mattress is held up by slats that, according to design, don't need any anchor. But the design didn't anticipate my kids' fonching about. Slats would get vibrated out of place and eventually the middle of the matress would be sagging.

So I found some finishing nails from when I kept bees (you use a lot of small finishing nails building a Langstroth hive), and worked up a good sweat nailing down all the slats.

I might break my TV fast now, Frau Lobster is consoling a friend who actually has something to complain about, the kids are in bed, and I finally finished 'Colors Insultig to Nature.' Structurally, it borrows a bit from 'Confederacy of Dunces,' but the prism isn't Ignatius' odd notions of the Middle Ages, but the ubiquitous American cult of celebrity.

I was unfamiliar with Cintra Wilson when I bought the book, an unusual purchase on many levels. Dunno how she is as a columnist, but I enjoyed the book. She skewers the people I'd love to, and skewers me in the process. I guess you could say she made me her bitch and made me like it. But I laughed my ass off...

Oh, the chili and the TV-fast...

I had a hankering for chili. But the only canned chili I really like is HyPower. I like their tamales too. The grocery store was closed for the fake holiday, but the convenience stores were open. I checked the five in easy reach, but all the carried the Hormel stuff I wasn't 'chili hungry' enough to sink to.

I really wanted to have HyPower chili and tamales for my personal, fucked-up Thanksgiving...

And I checked out some videos from the library for the weekend (such as it is, I'll work tomorrow and Saturday morning prior to actually eating turkey, green bean casserole and sweet potatoes), but most of what I grabbed was VHS and our VCR is on the blink again. The one DVD I got was Woody Allen's 'The Front,' which I uniquely have any interest in according to the rest of my lobster family....

No comments: