Search Lobsterland

Friday, November 03, 2017

Hardware



I've got an old OnGuard U-lock I use to keep my Tall Pale Hooker from getting boosted. If a thief comes with tools like a cordless angle grinder, power hacksaw, etc., the bike is gone, but a U-lock prevents casual thievery.



So anyway, it came with a mount for hanging it on the bike frame. It fit nicely in the forward part of the frame. Here's a pic of the arrangement before the plastic parts on the crossbar. That's a part of a U-Lock, according to Kryptonite, and they should know since they make the most expensive lock you can get for your bicycle.



I don't buy the Kryptonite New York lock because like I said, power tools will defeat anything. The difference between some goombah with a Milwaukee power hacksaw cutting my $40 OnGuard lock in 90 seconds and cutting a $100 Kryptonite in 90 seconds is I'm out $60 more on top of missing my daily driver.

So on the shackle of the lock there's a part called the spline. On my lock it's metal, which is a good idea. The hardware to mount it to my bike is plastic, which makes about as much sense as anyone who still supports Donald Trump. Plastic is great for shit that doesn't need to survive wear, and after the second time my 2-1/2 pound U-lock fell on one of my feet this summer (in sandals), I impeached that mounting hardware.

Don't want to buy a new lock to replace a cheap plastic POS part, and when I tried to order a replacement part I learned that OnGuard has since changed their mounts. So I've been sticking the lock in my pannier, which means it falls to the bottom and has to be dug out and it's just generally not as convenient. So gifted by a local bike shop with a newer OnGuard abandoned by a customer (for which there is no key available), I tried to salvage the mounting hardware.

My friend F.C. cut the shank so I could get the spline off the salvage lock, and it fit around the shackle of my lock just fine, but it was a half inch or so too long, so it would mount as long as I didn't want to mount the whole lock, including the crossbar (without which, it's no longer a lock, just a U.



No comments: