Search Lobsterland

Monday, August 17, 2015

Sirens Part IV



Model: Kristin Wicklund


Went in for some cleanup on the Sirens shoot. I mean, I shot a lot of pictures, over 2400 frames. And I keep saying this because it's true, it's not their fault that 2000+ of those photos are garbage.

Model: Kristin Wicklund


I just wasn't careful enough. The light was challenging, the heat was brutal, but mainly I was just too excited and triggered the shutter way too fast.

Models: Elizabeth Zee Phillips, Greg Chaffee, Lissette Cristina Vazquez (Cosita)


And Greg basically had to beg me to take his picture. In fairness, it was called a 'Sirens' shoot, and in my mind sirens are chicks; plus he had a camera around his neck when I first saw him. Which meant he was a photographer, not a model, right? Of course he's a model, too, just look at him. I didn't do him justice, really, in any of these shots (or the several I didn't share here).

Model: Alexia Lamb


I learned from these shots, too, that instead of glass, my next investment needs to be a speedlight.

Model: Alexia Lamb


I've been a bit of a snob about shooting only with natural/available light. I have a reflector, and I even bought a diffuser for my pop-up flash though I was always so frustrated with the results I ended up basically giving it up. But when the sun bearing straight down on us, here I was with freaking Rose Ballentine to shoot, a true pro and drop dead gorgeous to boot, and she's posing with a goddamn Ferrari, and I've got shadows on her eyes. I mean, I had shadows and silhouettes on lots of the shots that day, there were whole series of shots of Tara Dactyl Dawn, Amanda McAlexander, Murron Paeth, etc., that were un-fixable because I didn't have a speedlight to provide a little fill flash (and for that matter, didn't have the chops to help the shots out properly with my popup flash, which wouldn't have fixed it all but might have helped some).

Models: Greg Chaffee, Snake


For that matter, there was Greg and the snake some guy just happened to have there in Loose Park. Here's the best shot I took of him after I did some post to help it out. Don't blame Greg if you think it's a sub-par photo, the fault is all mine.

Models: Elizabeth Zee Phillips, Greg Chaffee, Lissette Cristina Vazquez (Cosita)


Model: Kristin Wicklund


Basically I can't wait to do this whole shindig again. Preferably with the aforementioned speedlight. I haven't decided yet, doing homework still, but I haven't ruled out going all the way to the SB-910, overwhelming gadget that it is. It offers tons of control plus the ability to cover significant distances. As much as I want a 105mm Micro lens, maybe an 85 as well, I think something on the hot shoe (or mounted remotely) is going to bring big dividends from the glass I got.

Model: Kristin Wicklund


No comments: