Search Lobsterland

Saturday, February 02, 2013

Tag You're It, Part II





I guess Boss Tom was as OG as KC gets.



I stumbled on a couple of alleys chock full of great wall art while waiting for the Arts Forum Monday evening.



I was unsure how much of the 'new' was me not spending enough time downtown, as opposed to a bunch of it being new. I suspect a lot of it is less than a year old, some of the pieces I know have to be fresh.



There was one signature on the corner of a building signed by Gizmo that said something like 'Warning! Wet Paint!'



Some of it might almost have been, it was an unseasonably warm day.



The following morning, it was still 68ºF when I rode in to work, barely beating rain that brought a return of proper winter weather. Part of why I carry so much stuff on the bike, commuting in KC means having appropriate clothing for several time-zones worth of climate possibilities. Tuesday morning was 68ºF, Friday morning was 7ºF.



I confess I missed out on riding in the 7ºF. Yet another nasty cold took hold of me Thursday at work, and when I contemplated riding home in the teens, with whipping wind, two things stopped me short. I didn't have my long underwear with me, and my nose burned on contact with air to the point where my eyes teared. That was inside, at room temperature. As soon as my face hit the night air, it felt like an emergency situation. I thought about my rain suit, that would provide a layer that likely would make up for the long johns, but my nose was a whole other story.



A day later, I seem to be improving some. It'd be nice to get all the way back to healthy before another illness, it seems like I've been sick nonstop for a month.



Back to the photos. I put my bike in a lot of the shots because it's hard to gauge scale on tags without something like a bike, car or person in them.



But it seems like kind of a rut, having my bike in most of the shots. I may have to find some clever things to place in tag shots in the future. Something I can strap to my bike without too much difficulty, but which gives a sense of size.



The problem is most of the fun things I can think of right off, a garden gnome, model rocket, maybe a sex toy—these things are themselves of varying sizes in life, so they don't really work.



I guess in some cases the fact that the canvas is a cinderblock well tells the scale and I should save the bike for shots where there isn't a tell-tale detail like that.









No comments: