Search Lobsterland

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Profiles in Courage: Prison Hooch

Our rent-liberated friend Raymond mixed up this batch of horrifying homebrew a couple of months ago.

I'd have dumped it out on sight, day one. I'm a homebrewer and I am even keen to get into making my own pickles and Kim Chi and whatnot. But this was just nasty.



Bread, sugar, fruit, I'm not sure what all he threw in there and I don't think any cultured yeast, even baker's yeast (horrible as that would be) was even pitched in it. He covered the jar with a gallon-sized zip-loc bag and let it sit in the corner of our kitchen until Brian and Corinna decided to see what it was like.



I didn't taste any myself, their reactions were enough to cure me of that ambition, plus I smelled the stuff and it smelled like a compost pile.



One of my favorite blogs back when I was experimenting with this medium had a post on prison wine. One of them said, "I would drink this in prison." The other said, "I would drink this in high school."



Raymond's batch of composted beverage wouldn't pass this test. It was completely unpalatable, though hilarious to watch people trying to pretend otherwise.



Not that Brian or Corinna made much effort to pretend it was good stuff. I think it took all the courage they could muster to even taste the stuff, and that's more courage than I had.

No comments: