Search Lobsterland

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Black Label Cycles



I'm not sure how new this is, I usually take the middle deck of 12th Street rather than the Forester Viaduct, but I spied this on the ride home Thursday night from Forester and I had to set up my tripod.



Legal walls are great: you get some of the best quality tag art and you don't have to worry (much) about the city coming and painting over it.



I say 'much' because from what I can tell, the city guys are a bunch of lunkheads who might be confused at what is public versus private property. They certainly can't or won't distinguish art form vandalism.



The white balance turned out to be tricky for me. I'm not good at judging the temperature of color, and I ended up trusting the camera and it wasn't much of a judge either (white balance set to auto).



Luckily, in the NX2 software, there are some tools for correcting this that are actually a little easier than fiddling with curves in Photoshop. You can take your RAW file and apply Incandescent, Standard Fluorescent, etc., and even tweak the color temperature from there until you're happy.



It must be a real system hog, because it takes awhile to process, but it can really help a shot, even past getting the color accurate. Some of my favorite photos were taken with the white balance decidedly at odds with any notion of 'true' color.

No comments: