Search Lobsterland

Monday, October 10, 2011

In-Korruptible

My favorite West Bottoms watering hole has apparently gone dry. Okay, I only went there twice, once to hear Melissa do her hippie shake and once out of curiosity.

The curiosity visit, I'd ridden past it so many times on my commute. Corinna was out of town, I figured for the hell of it I'd stop off and have a pint.


It was a bunch of kids. The bartender/manager included. They were sweet kids, treated me like a genuine folk hero because they'd seen me ride by with the tulle helmet mohawk. When a new batch of them arrived and the bartender girl asked to see their IDs, I realized, Holy shit, all these people are over 21!

I realize the corollary to my perception of them being younger than they are was their perception of me as much older than I am.

Anyway, the crazy old man on the bike has been riding by an apparently defunct bar lately. It never did seem to be very busy, so I guess that's to be expected. Even the lettering is gone from the windows, there have been speaker cabinets and furniture left out by the curb.


Korruption, once an apparent bellwether of the West Bottoms Renaissance, has shuffled off this mortal coil and joined the choir invisible.

No comments: