Search Lobsterland

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Stuffed Punkins

I love stuffed pumpkin.


Last time I made it, according to my above linked post, was about two days before I met the girl of my dreams. A couple of years ago there was a shortage of pie pumpkins, which is the kind you stuff, so I have my radar up by late September now. They're dirt cheap and plentiful again this year, and I decided I like this dish too much to make them one at a time. I did two, I might do three next time, I think three will fit in the oven.

About the same amount of work, and a lot more lunches left over.


I've started mixing up the stuffing recipe, too. Here's what's essential: sautéed onions, garlic, croutons, cheese, savory herbs, and fruit.

Gruyère is fantastic, but sharp cheddar will do and it's a fifth the price. Some bleu cheese in the mix is good to get some sour and salty notes. Craisins, figs or dates, even plain old raisins, will provide sweet bits.


Nuts of some kind are a good idea. And I advise a free hand with the butter, allow at least half a stick per punkin, use it for the onion/garlic sautée.


You can reintroduce the roasted seeds from cleaning the pumpkin seeds out, but I really like the roasted seeds by themselves.


Stuff the squash as tight as possible, then pour in a cup of chicken stock to each. You'll have to be patient, if you've done your due diligence at cramming the stuffing in, it'll take a few minutes to get a cup of stock absorbed.

Cap and bake for 90 minutes at 350º, uncap, top with more cheese, and bake another half hour.

No comments: