Search Lobsterland

Sunday, September 06, 2009

Cheaper Than Five Bucks

Before the Trek group retired to Dos Reales last Monday, I hadn't ever had a margarita I'd want more than one of. Monday, I had to restrain myself to two (had to get home). But it got me wondering, what makes this margarita so much better than all the neon green concoctions that have previously been presented as such?

I think one ingredient is tequila. As in, you actually have to include some, it's not like with vermouth, threatening the cocktail with it isn't adequate.



And the $5 special at Dos Reales doesn't seem like such a deal when you can buy Cuervo, Triple Sec, limes, Rose's sweetened lime juice, and salt adequate to make Lake Margarita for about thirty bucks. Of course, they don't come with the company of cycling friends. So maybe I need to organize a group ride that ends up at my house...

Here's my first attempt, and a mighty tasty attempt it is:

3 oz. Cuervo Gold
1-1/2 oz. Triple Sec liqueur
1 oz. fresh lime juice
1 oz. Rose's sweetened lime juice
Shake with ice and decant on the rocks into a salted tumbler, garnish with lime.

This is probably one of those things like learning that I like mayo on french fries: I was better off in my ignorance.

No comments: