Search Lobsterland

Thursday, June 02, 2016

I Can See My House from Here



Google Earth can be interesting. The streetview for my house still shows my wife's former roommate's car in the driveway, so it's at least five years since the Google bug with the camera on top drove by. But the satellite has been by since October, when I polka-dotted my car. Judging from the garden beds, I'd say it was after the beginning of March, when Corinna planted a bunch of stuff under row cover.





I think the Google satellite shot even shows how the dots have faded. I made a mistake ordering from Discount Labels. They're cheaper than Gill Studios, the other option, but you get what you pay for. When they faded so fast, I called to complain and was told pinks and reds fade fast. I'm like, bullshit, I see Clinton/Gore stickers on cars that are still red and blue, I just put the dots on in October and they're already almost white. I paid extra for a Pantone match to get PMS215 and it's gone.



I was like, these are 5" diameter bumper stickers, why would you not use UV inks? That would be a custom order, I was told, more expensive and so on. I bet Gill's higher price reflects that they'd use UV inks by default on anything called a bumper sticker (as they should). The best I could get out of Discount was a box of 250 red 5" labels printed with shitty ink that will fade to pink before eventually being white like my pink dots now are.

So Discount Labels did their best to make it right, but sometimes your best just isn't good enough, I'll never buy from them again.