Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Birthday Pathogen Pot Luck









So we rescheduled Em's 17th birthday celebration because we were sick. Mo was puking Thursday, I got it Friday, then after I'd rescheduled the family get-together for the following Sunday, Corinna got it and then Em on her actual birthday.



And there really isn't a present to compare with projectile vomiting on your birthday.



So we all seemed to be well or on the mend from our various ailments a week later. I was still fighting some chest congestion from a cold I had before the puke festival (norovirus, I suspect).



I made my patented chocolate mayonnaise cake and my even more patented even-more-frosting-than-cake cream cheese icing.



Seriously, this was a regular, two 9-inch pan cake, and the frosting used three pounds of cream cheese, three sticks of butter, some confectioner's sugar, vanilla and food coloring. That's nearly four pounds of frosting for a cake that uses two cups of flour.



The party was great, we had a surprise visit from our rent-liberated friend Raymond and most of the fam over.



Fast forward to about ten o'clock that night, and I was puking my guts up. Second time in a fortnight, and I basically never get sick. Then I woke up in the middle of the night sneezing so violently I thought I'd given myself a hernia. I even took a sick day Monday, something I go years on end without doing.



Ever since (that was Sunday night, today is Wednesday), my nose has been so violently inflamed I've taken such desperate measures as jamming Vagisil into my nostrils to numb things out.



Vagisil is really marketed entirely too narrowly. It has more narcotic pain killer in it than any other ointment I've ever found. It's good for saddle sores, and as far as using it on your schnoz, if there's a part of a man's body that's somewhere like a vagina tissue-wise and nerve-wise, it'd be inside the nose.



My Mom called last night to ask how I was because she'd heard that basically all the family members who came to the party had gotten sick, too. No telling who brought what pathogens to our little buffet of infection.





No comments: