Search Lobsterland

Monday, March 16, 2009

More Chutney



I made another batch of tomato chutney. Same recipe except I doubled it (which is to say I made it the way the book said, I made a half batch the first time).



1/4 cup canola oil
36 fresh curry leaves (torn)
2 teaspoons fenugreek
2 teaspoon toasted curry seed powder
12 dried red chillies
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 28 oz. can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
14.5 oz. can double strength tomato paste*
2 tablespoon palm sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon Sambar Masala



*I found the double-strength tomato paste at India Emporium. It doesn't feel much stiffer than regular tomato paste but it is darker. Last time I used regular tomato paste and cooked the stuff twice as long. This time I just simmered it the 30 minutes and called it good.

Since I cut the salt roughly in half proportionately, I froze half of the resulting chutney for fear that it might spoil before I get around to eating it.

No comments: