Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Aujla



This isn't strictly Indian, but it's probably more Indian than anything else. It's melting pot bachelor cuisine.

I had some China Black rice I boiled in chicken broth. It's got such a specific aroma, I wanted to do a Thai curry. It would have been the most fitting seasoning.

Alas, no coconut milk, no green curry in the house. So I went with red curry.



I toasted some flax seeds and pepitas by letting them heat in the skillet until one of the flax seeds popped, shuffling them occasionally to keep them moving, prevent scorching.

I sauteed a bit of onion and garlic, diced up a leftover grilled pork shop and threw that into the stir-fry and added the rice. A can of red beans, too.



I seasoned it with red curry (about a tablespoon, but I was just kinda eyeballing it), about a tablespoon of powdered ancho peppers, a dash of Tahini. I almost put a dash of sesame oil in, and maybe I should have, but I feared it was getting to complicated.

It is, as it happens, excellent stuff. Best stir-fry I've made in a long time. I named it after someone who impressed me, who is also Indian and yet also American. I don't know, maybe not so American as to use ancho in a curry, I think ancho is more Mexican, but whatever.

No comments: