Search Lobsterland

Friday, July 22, 2005

Keyword or Cry for Help?

Okay, you can't see it because I have a personal issue about visible counters, but there's a counter on this site. I basically don't want you to see how pitiful the traffic at my site is. Plus, I read somewhere that visible counters were amateurish. I can't say there's anything remotely professional about this crap, but I have this issue. It's personal, and no I don't think your site sucks if it shows a counter.

I think a counter is a personal choice.

Speaking of personal choices. The counter I use, StatCounter, gives me all kinds of mostly useless (to me) information. Mostly it tells me that the few people who come here don't stay. Zero seconds, that's the norm. The people who are here longer must be one of two types of visitors: people who know me; people who are still on dial-up and can't escape before StatCounter registers their hit as more significant than it is.

Oh, I guess I should say 'hi' to the following repeat visitors: Tempe, AZ; Sunnyvale, CA; Kansas City, MO; Zurich, Switzerland; Rochester, NY.

There's others, but that's not what I started this entry about.

StatCounter also has features like telling you the screen resolution, operating system, browser, etc., of the visitors you get. This is useful, I guess, if you find out all your users are blind and you have no 'alt' tags.

The 'Keyword Analysis' is the alarming thing. I get friends coming around here. I submitted to the Langa List because it got me a spike of traffic for my primary domain. And there's the Cult, I have a link to my blog in my signature there, and on other message boards I'm less active on. So that gets hits. But here's (I'm NOT making this up) what StatCounter says are the keyword entries bringing in new surfers via search engines:


  • big pimp fucking group

  • pimp drawing

  • family guy song rock lobster

  • projected needs of lobster buy and selling product

  • pimp my rid game

  • pimp cup design ideas

  • lobster boys t-shirt

  • family guy song rock lobster put in description

  • adult adventures in the midwest

  • pimp my teen daughter

  • pimp crops gold

  • how to get a gusshing orgasm



I won't lie to you. I can't tell you how to get a 'gusshing' orgasm even if you learn to spell. For me, it's always just happened. I don't want to pimp your teen daughter, even if your crops are gold. I know nothing of cup design, selling lobsters or how to draw a pimp.

Please don't tell me what a 'rid' game is, and I definitely do not need to know what a 'big pimp fucking group' is or why 'family guy' shows up more than once on this dubious 'top twelve.'

6 comments:

lizmo said...

A counter? Are you kidding? I'm just happy if someone leaves a comment on my posts...
I guess I'm not ready for your little 12-step group yet. :)

Chixulub said...

StatCounter is free, quick and easy to use. They have visible counters too, if you want a little odometer to show how many people have come by your site.

As I say, I didn't want a visible counter, but it's interesting to see who's coming to your site, what referring link is sending them, what keywords, etc. 'Anal bleach' is the #1 keyword for Lobster Land, but I haven't done any development on it in some time, so it's kind of dormant. It has more hits accumulated than my blog, but a ton of those came the week I was listed in the Langa List newsletter. And almost all of those hits were quick peeks.

And no, I can't identify anyone really specifically, it's not like I have spyware on my site. I wouldn't do that. I have a notion who's looking if it's Zurich or Tempe. Because I know about one person in those places, and they're repeat visits.

The L.A. and NYC hits are harder to tell, because I know more than one person in those areas. And they might have come from The Cult and not show up as a Cult thread for the referring link if they subsequently bookmarked me. And for all I know, one person could be checking in from a home PC that shows up as one city and work in another.

I'd say checking blogs from multiple locations would qualify as a symptom, but what about putting up more than one blog post in a day (like I did last night)?

Lara said...

LOL too funny! I came here looking for "gusshing orgasm"....not seeing it anywhere???

Chixulub said...

AMG! You found my site! I put your name on that gusshing orgasm, and left it somewhere around here. Hold on while I look for it...

j_ay said...

Heh. Funny stuff. I don’t recall ever looking at the keyword thing for ah.com.
Looking now 98% is for ah and 1% is for a Richard h. I’m either guessing or hoping that the missing 1% is for…”platypus fondling”. Or something.

Well, you may have some veddy strange alt tags embedded in your site, and keep in mind some of the other options on the counter are: „came from“ „drill down“, „browser“, “activity”, “entry pages”…so it may just love them ambiguous stuff.
Continued success with your “pimp cup design ideas”.
j
(who will now go try to find the scientific equivalent to a ‘cold shower’ due to a certain AMG’s photo)

Chixulub said...

Yeah, I'm not sure how Blogger generates 'meta.' I had a ton of things in my meta tags for the 'main' Lobster Land site, a.k.a. the Cyber Junkyard.

A lot of the 'drill down' data StatCounter provides makes no sense to me.

Good luck with that cold shower thing. I think AMG has an AMBF. He'd probably give you a bruise to match the one she got from a gnome in her sleep. Or a moose bite, or whatever it is.

I'm just excited that she came to my blog. She gets more comments on her posts than I get hits -- it's like having the President in town.