Search Lobsterland

Saturday, April 03, 2010

I Know, My 'After' Pic is Most Folks' 'Before' Pic



Until this whole tomato garden fascination fired up, I'd always resented my yard.



A lawn is a high maintenance girlfriend who won't put out. It doesn't do me any good, yet I'm required to do stuff to maintain it.



For years my fantasy has been to pave it over. Or, since my two beds of Lillies are the one thing that looks good after 13 years, 13 years in which I've done nothing but look at the Lillies, I've thought maybe I should just put Lilly bulbs everywhere and let the whole lawn become a Lilly bed.



Minimum effort has been my M.O. when it comes to yard work. I mow the lawn when I start to fear the city might do it for me and then charge a premium rate for lawn care. All the while fantasizing about what has been my dream house since high school, a gas station with garage bays converted into a house. Plenty of parking when you entertain and you never have to mow the grass because it's a parking lot.




So now the need for 'full sun' had me out with my chainsaw playing lumberjack. I had two and a half dead trees back there, plus a maple bush that grew back after the Asplunde guys took a maple tree to the ground. They wanted to just top it, but I said you might as well take the whole thing, I don't want it.



Thing is, the Asplunde guys are charged with keeping the power lines clear, they're not into stump removal and the thing became a bush.

I've got five trash cans full to overflowing with branches and logs, and there's still at least that much shit still in my back yard waiting to be hauled off and that's with most of two whole dead trees still standing.

My forearms are twitchy and sore, I can barely make a fist. And I still have those beds to build, so I'm not buying compost tomorrow even if I did have a friend with a truck they're not afraid to haul stuff in available for an Easter run to Suburban Lawn & Garden.

No comments: