Search Lobsterland

Monday, February 01, 2010

Barley the Dog-Faced Boy, RIP

I thought Barley had another stroke last weekend. And I know he had a bunch of seizures last night, which I was going to call the vet about, see if we could up his phenobarbital or something.



Turns out if I hadn't gotten busy at work, the call would have been pointless. I got home and called him to no avail. Finally went down in the yard to his dog house and found him cold and stiff, to all appearances sleeping peacefully.




I thought he'd had another stroke, but I also thought he'd be fine. He was last time, and last time his symptoms were far worse.





We played the 'ready' game this morning. Every morning for years now, he's watched me get dressed and when I'm about 50% through it, he gets in my face and I take two steps toward the bedroom door. He gallops down the hall and a few minutes later realizes I didn't follow and comes back. By then, I'm dressed and I let him out.

This morning was the same except when he got to the kitchen he fell loudly on the slicker linoleum surface.



I wonder how I'll get dressed without Barley to psych out. I always thought this exercise showed how he didn't learn, but I think now he just did it because he knew I thought it was hilarious.

No comments: