Search Lobsterland

Sunday, January 17, 2010

If I Only Had a Band

We haven't rehearsed as a band since October, partly scheduling partly those pesky 'artistic differences.' Anyway, I hate to admit it, but I'd gotten kinda slack about practicing my own part the past month or so not having band practice to look forward to.

I hit it hard this weekend, though. Two hours yesterday and another two tonight working on some of the 'set' and some stuff I'd like to add to it whether with the the original crew or with a new bassist. And hopefully a new singer, too, because I'm getting better at singing and playing guitar at the same time but it's limiting both in terms of what material could be done and what material I'm capable of doing in a trio format.

Crazy Train really pushes the envelope on that score, it's a pretty busy guitar part and since I'm not a tenor, it's also hard for me to sing. And Streetcar by Funeral for a Friend, forget about it. I can handle the vocals and one of the guitar parts, but you definitely need two guitarists for that one.


Jacknife to a Swan
works, to my surprise, since the Mighty Mighty Bosstones is a large group. Not the same without the horns and harmony vocals of course, but I think it could work as a trio number. Same with Mississipi, though I have to sing the chorus an octave below Sheryl Crow. I don't have the quality of voice she has, of course, but if I do say so myself I sing better than Bob Dylan who wrote that song.

There Is a Light That Never Goes Out definitely loses texture as a trio number, but at least Morrissey sings in my range. Same with Jill Sobule (Love is Never Equal).

I should probably try and ad some Green Day into the mix, it's not like I would be trying to reduce their material to a trio format, it's already there.

Code Monkey
is no problem, but Vertigo is a hard one for me to sing, too, and harder because there are parts where what's going on vocally and what's going on on the guitar are pat-your-head-rub-your-tummy different.

The good news is these practice sessions were very therapeutic in terms of the funk I've been in since digesting the Haitian earthquake. The bad news is they also feel somewhat pointless in the absence of a 'rest of the band' to play them with.

Anyone play bass out there? Bonus points if you have a little PA equipment and are free on Thursday evenings...

No comments: