Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Give It To Us Raw and Wrrrigling!



I don't eat out much, let alone in toney restaurants like Kabuki. But this is where a shit-ton of old friends were meeting and I really wanted to be in on it. Common denominator, all but one of us went to high school together.






I tried to think, when was the last time I ate some place this upscale on my own dime. And I think I was still married. I tend to think of Five Guys as an extravagance, or for that matter McDonald's or Long John Silver's.



Sushi, though, is one thing I've never learned to make at home. I had the Chirashi platter tonight, with some roe and Uni on the side. Delicious.






I have to say, though the restaurant is very upscale, I was surprised at the service. This is where Julie and Roger deflowered me of my sushi virginity, but when I showed up early, I was abruptly told they didn't open until 5:30. It was 5:25. When I came back and we went in, I made an inquiry about the beers available and instead of an answer, I was given a menu that didn't list the beers. I ended up having a Mai Tai instead, but anyway...



This was about friends, friends I hadn't seen in a long time (from two days to four months to 20+ years), and we had a blast. Though at one point one of my dinner mates asked what one of the things on her plate was and commented, 'I'd ask the waitress but she'd probably reprimand me.' So I wasn't the only one who thought she was a little short on the service side.



Sorry, but have you seen the news? This recession that's going, it's impacted everyone I know and me, big-time. If Kabuki's sales aren't off this year, I'll eat my shoe. You'd think they'd be falling over themselves, nine customers walk in. Granted, nine separate checks, but we're slow where I work, too, and I don't care how high-maintenance a customer is, I want their business.



I over-ordered. My cash should have been ample, but when the check came I only had about a 4% tip available. Good thing the waitress ignored my empty Mai Tai (which was gone before my food arrived). Since she never asked me if I wanted another drink (I did), I didn't go over my money. Normally, I'd feel really guilty leaving such a tiny tip, but in this case I'd say it was fair.



I'd still go back to Kabuki. Being deflowered by Julie and Roger there alone makes it special. And it is great food, if pricey.




And we had so much fun. I'd have paid every penny twice to hang out with this crew, and it wouldn't have mattered if they fed us at all.





And yes, Julie, I'm posting this under Grub. And I'm giving you credit, right here, for most of the pics. All the good ones were taken by Julie (plus all the ones with me in them); if they're a tad dark and noisy, she was using my camera with its child-like capabilities.

No comments: