Search Lobsterland

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Heart Shaped Cake



Sort of. I had heart shaped pans for Mo's birthday cake, but the cake ended up being more of a lumpy triangle.

Nice thing about it, it's a three pan set, you're supposed to split the batter up a little bit further. Three layers means more frosting, and cake is nothing but a delivery vehicle for frosting, right?



Of course I made the cake from scratch, I always do. But this time I made the icing from scratch, too. Never done that.

2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
2 pounds of confectioner's sugar
2 teaspoons Mexican double strength vanilla extract
about a quarter cup of vanilla soy milk added gradually to soften
neon purple food coloring (umpteen drops)



Just keep beating it and eventually it all comes together. I beat the hell out of it, and the stuff was stiff enough I could hear my mixer struggling to keep cutting through.



The three layers kind of wanted to shift around as I iced it, and the heart shaped pans are losing their shape (meant to be single-use throwaway pans). So it ended up more of a blunted triangle, kinda lumpy.



The purple color was Mo's choice, as were the big sprinkles.

No comments: