Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Grilled Pork Chop Stew



Yes, my friends, it's finally cookin' weather. My office is still such an oven I wear my Hawaiian shirts to work, but the overnight lows have finally been chilly enough to make me regret the open windows and attic fan left on all night.



I grilled a monster pack of pork chops, and rather than eat them all as enormous servings of meat, I took what we didn't eat for dinner and made stew.

Basically followed the recipe for a beef stew, but with cubed chops as the meat and the last of my pork stock from February for a base.



I started by mincing a couple of white onions and sautéing them in olive oil. I debated this because I thought I'd started the pork stock the same way, but now I think I didn't. So it was probably a good thing to get some freshly caramelized onions into the mix.



Plus a generous amount of minced garlic, though I don't add that until the onions are almost there because if you overcook the garlic in oil, it gets bitter.

I diced up a tomato and got that turning translucent, too.



Then for the cubed chops fresh off the grill. And then with the pork stock, about a quart and a half of it I think, and a quart of chicken broth.

A 28oz can of crushed tomatoes, a pound (minus what we ate with our dinners) of baby carrots, and about five Yukon Gold potatoes cubed up.



I'll let it simmer until bed time, chill it over night and then reheat it for tomorrow's supper. Should be good eats.



Meanwhile, tonight's dinner with the chops, some baked Yukon Golds, fresh celery and baby carrots wasn't too shabby either.

No comments: