Search Lobsterland

Monday, September 24, 2007

No Country for Old Men

Okay, last movie I saw in the theaters (and I don't count that stupid dragon flick I took the honyocks to) was Shop Girl. For a frame of reference, I was still married when I saw it.

Last time I was excited about a movie coming out, we're talking Lord of the Rings action. I saw each of those three first run, and it was worth every overpriced kernel of popcorn.

So now I have a new movie to wait for: my favorite Cormac McCarthy novel is coming to the big screen. And it's a book, as I re-read it, I thought, this would make a bitchin' movie.

And I think I must have been right: every scene in the trailer is something I remember vividly from the novel.

Except in the novel, Sheriff Bell says 'He seen the same things I seen, and it made a impression on me.' Looks like Tommy Lee Jones delivers a more grammatically correct version of the line, a much less Cormac McCarthy Texas Border version.



What he's speaking of having 'seen' is mostly the work of Anton Chigurh, maybe the best villain I've ever encountered. And McCarthy specializes in this: Chigurh tops John Glanton and Judge Holden boiled up with Hannibal Lecher and filtered through Chappy from End of Alice.

Still, this is gonna be a great flick.

No comments: